Display marketing (screen advertising) is a form of advertising that is shown graphically on a screen (display). Display advertising can be shown on PC screens and on touchscreens on tablets and smartphones. The advertising can consist of images, videos, animations, text links or moving images. The aim of a display marketing measure is always to increase brand awareness and to encourage the user to react in a certain way. In addition to SEO-oriented advertising, display marketing is an important marketing tool on the Internet.
How does display marketing work?
Classic online advertising consists of graphic components such as banners and buttons as well as text and images. The online advertising is shown to the user on the display when the advertising material is placed on the website. By clicking on the advertising material, the user usually gets to the website of the advertising company. Here are also landing pages or corresponding product and category pages of the advertised products are a common means. In contrast to SEO marketing, display marketing does not deal with textual methods and keywords, but in particular with graphic components.
What is needed for display marketing?
According to wholevehicles, a display marketing campaign requires an advertiser who wants to reach a certain target group with an advertising message and a publisher who is responsible for the publication. The advertiser creates the advertisement, while the publisher provides a digital medium for the advertisement. This can be, for example, a website, an online shop or blog. Internet advertising always contains a link that leads the user to the corresponding target page. The cost of placing such a banner depends on the popularity of the website, with the classic billing format being the thousand-contact price (CPM).
What types of display marketing are there?
Display marketing encompasses different advertising formats. These include, for example:
- Banners: Banners are the classic advertising medium. They are available in different sizes and functions and can advertise a product or service in a static, animated or interactive manner.
- Pop-up: Here the advertisement appears in the form of a window with a specific user action, for example with a mouseover over a certain word.
- Pop-under: These advertising windows only appear when a website is closed.
- Content Ads: These are banner ads that are integrated directly into the content of the website.
- Layer ads: This internet advertising fills the entire screen. This form of advertising is becoming increasingly popular because it cannot be prevented by the pop-up blockers integrated in web browsers.
What are the advantages of display advertising?
- great coverage
- Reaching different target groups
- The user is directly encouraged to buy
- diverse advertising formats with target group-specific orientation
- Display on mobile devices
- Image building and branding
What are the disadvantages of display advertising?
- Oversupply of online advertising, which in some cases leads to “banner blindness” among users
- many ad blockers prevent online advertising
- Clicks on banners on mobile devices are more or less random
- possibly negative effect on brand awareness
Display Marketing: Conclusion
Display marketing is an effective advertising measure, as long as it is target-group-specific and goal-oriented. A successful display marketing campaign can not only lead to an increase in brand awareness, but also to a greater reach.