Fairdale, Kentucky is a small town located in the western part of Jefferson County. It has a population of about 5,000 people and spans an area of about four square miles. The climate in Fairdale is temperate with mild winters and warm summers. See topbbacolleges for information about Adair County, Kentucky.
The area was first settled by Europeans in the early 19th century and was officially incorporated as Fairdale in 1883. The main industry at the time was agriculture and coal mining, but today it is mostly residential with some light industry scattered throughout.
Politically, Fairdale leans heavily Democratic with most of its citizens voting for that party’s candidates in presidential elections. It has two representatives on the Jefferson County Board of Commissioners who are both Democrats as well.
The economy is primarily based on retail and services such as restaurants, banks, and stores that serve the local population. There are also a few small factories located nearby which employ some residents.
Fairdale has one public school which serves grades K-12 and there are several private schools nearby for those who choose to send their children there instead. There are also several churches representing various denominations around town which provide spiritual guidance to its citizens.
As far as landmarks go, there is a historic church called St Peters which dates back to the late 1800s when it was built by German immigrants who had moved to the area looking for work in coal mining or farming. There is also a museum dedicated to local history located downtown near the city hall building where visitors can learn more about Fairdale’s past. Finally, there is a large park called Woodland Park which offers hiking trails and other outdoor activities for people of all ages to enjoy year-round.
Males: 3,734 (48.8%), Females: 3,924 (51.2%)
Zip code: 40118
Median resident age: 32.9 years
Median household income: $35,218
Median house value: $78,300
Races in Fairdale:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.0%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Black (0.9%)
Ancestries: United States (22.7%), German (14.6%), Irish (14.4%), English (6.5%), Dutch (2.0%), Italian (1.9%).
Elevation: 470 feet
Land area: 5.7 square miles
Fairdale, Kentucky is a small town located in Jefferson County. With a population of just over 7,000 people, it is one of the smaller towns in the area. The median household income is $41,000, which is slightly lower than the national average. In terms of living costs, Fairdale has an overall cost of living index that is slightly lower than the national average. Housing costs are below the national average as well, with a median home value of $150,000 and monthly rent ranging from $800 to $1,000 for a two-bedroom apartment. The unemployment rate in Fairdale is low at just 4%, which means finding employment won’t be difficult if you’re looking to move to this small town. Overall, Fairdale offers an affordable cost of living and plenty of job opportunities for those looking to relocate here.
For population 25 years and over in Fairdale
- High school or higher: 70.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Fairdale CDP
- Never married: 25.6%
- Now married: 52.0%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 13.3%
0.6% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Fairdale:
- CARITAS MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY)
- KINDRED HOSPITAL LOUISVILLE (about 9 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY)
- GATEWAY REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Fairdale:
- LOUISVILLE INTL-STANDIFORD FIELD (about 5 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Abbreviation: SDF)
- COLUMBUS MUNI (about 79 miles; COLUMBUS, IN; Abbreviation: BAK)
- BLUE GRASS (about 81 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Abbreviation: LEX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Fairdale:
- BOWMAN FIELD (about 11 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Abbreviation: LOU)
- HOLIDAY INN LAKEVIEW (about 12 miles; CLARKSVILLE, IN; Abbreviation: 1I6)
- CLARK COUNTY (about 17 miles; JEFFERSONVILLE, IN; Abbreviation: JVY)
Amtrak station near Fairdale:
- 14 miles: LOUISVILLE/JEFFERSONVILLE (JEFFERSONVILLE, 500 WILLINGER LANE). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, snack bar, taxi stand, intercity bus service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Fairdale:
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE (about 8 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 15,514)
- SULLIVAN UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,342)
- BELLARMINE UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,030)
- JEFFERSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 10 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 5,290)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-SOUTHEAST (about 14 miles; NEW ALBANY, IN; Full-time enrollment: 4,355)
- ELIZABETHTOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 29 miles; ELIZABETHTOWN, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,217)
- UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY (about 87 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Full-time enrollment: 20,492)
Public high school in Fairdale:
- FAIRDALE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 798; Location: 1001 FAIRDALE ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Fairdale:
- FAIRDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 488; Location: 10104 MITCHELL HILL RD; Grades: KG – 05)
- CORAL RIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 452; Location: 10608 NATIONAL TURNPIKE; Grades: PK – 05)
- GEORGIA CHAFFEE TAPP-SOUTH PARK ALT HS (Students: 118; Location: 1010 NEIGHBORHOOD PL; Grades: 06 – 12)