According to top-mba-universities, Draper, Utah is situated in the Salt Lake Valley of northern Utah, at the base of the Wasatch Mountains and just south of Salt Lake City. The geography is varied, with a mix of rolling hills, meadows, and forested areas. To the west lies the Great Salt Lake and to the east are the Wasatch Range mountains. The climate in Draper is mild with four distinct seasons. Summers tend to be warm and dry while winters are cold and snowy.
The history of Draper began in 1849 when John Draper and his family settled in what is now known as Draper City. In 1854, Draper was made an official township by the Utah Territorial Legislature. Since then, it has grown into a thriving city with a population of over 50,000 people.
Politics in Draper are largely dominated by conservative values due to its majority Mormon population. This can be seen in local elections where candidates from more conservative parties tend to win most seats on city councils and school boards.
Draper has a strong economy based on commerce, technology services, finance and retail trade industries that have grown substantially over recent years due to its proximity to larger cities like Salt Lake City. It also has an expanding tourism industry as more people come to visit its many landmarks such as Loveland Living Planet Aquarium, Corner Canyon Trails & Park System, Adventure Golf & Raceway among others.
The city offers excellent education opportunities for students from kindergarten through college through its public school system which includes 15 elementary schools, three middle schools and two high schools plus several private schools as well as higher education institutions such as University of Phoenix – South Jordan Campus and Broadview University – South Jordan Campus for those seeking advanced degrees or certifications.
Finally, some notable landmarks located within Draper include The Front Climbing Club indoor rock climbing facility; The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium; Corner Canyon Trails & Park System; Adventure Golf & Raceway; The Pointe at South Mountain golf course; and Glendale Golf Course which are all popular attractions for residents and visitors alike looking for outdoor activities or entertainment options within the city limits.
Population: 25,220. Estimated population in July 2020: 35,119 (+39.3% change)
Males: 14,248 (56.5%), Females: 10,972 (43.5%)
Salt Lake County
Zip code: 84020
Median resident age: 28.6 years
Median household income: $72,341
Median house value: $241,800
Races in Draper:
- White Non-Hispanic (88.9%)
- Hispanic (5.8%)
- Other race (2.7%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Black (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (28.5%), German (12.5%), Danish (6.7%), Irish (6.6%), United States (6.4%), Swedish (4.7%).
Elevation: 4525 feet
Land area: 30.3 square miles
Draper, Utah is located in Salt Lake County and is part of the Salt Lake City metropolitan area. As of the 2019 census, Draper had a population of 45,726. The median age in Draper is 33.3 years old, which is slightly lower than the national average of 37.2 years old. The gender makeup of Draper is roughly equal with 49.4% male and 50.6% female.
The racial makeup of Draper is 79% White, 8% Hispanic or Latino, 7% Asian and 2% African American. There are also small percentages of other racial backgrounds represented in the population including Native American and Pacific Islander. According to data from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey for 2018, about 81% of residents aged 25 and over have at least a high school diploma or equivalent while 30% have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
The median household income in Draper was $92,844 in 2018 which was higher than the national average at $61,937 during that same year according to data from the US Census Bureau’s American Community Survey (ACS). The largest industries in Draper are computer & electronic products manufacturing (10%), professional/scientific/technical services (9%), finance & insurance (8%) and retail trade (7%).
For population 25 years and over in Draper
- High school or higher: 91.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 33.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.8%
- Unemployed: 1.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Draper city
- Never married: 25.5%
- Now married: 60.5%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 2.3%
- Divorced: 10.2%
3.7% Foreign born (1.2% Europe, 0.9% Asia, 0.9% Latin America, 0.5% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +17,960 (+247.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Draper:
- ALTA VIEW HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; SANDY, UT)
- COPPER HILLS YOUTH CENTER (about 10 miles; WEST JORDAN, UT)
- JORDAN VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; WEST JORDAN, UT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Draper:
- SALT LAKE CITY INTL (about 20 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Abbreviation: SLC)
- PROVO MUNI (about 24 miles; PROVO, UT; Abbreviation: PVU)
- HILL AFB (about 42 miles; OGDEN, UT; Abbreviation: HIF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Draper:
- SALT LAKE CITY MUNI 2 (about 11 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Abbreviation: U42)
- JAKE GARN (about 21 miles; EAGLE MOUNTAIN, UT; Abbreviation: 17U)
- SKYPARK (about 25 miles; BOUNTIFUL, UT; Abbreviation: BTF)
Amtrak station near Draper:
- 18 miles: SALT LAKE CITY (320 S. RIO GRANDE ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Draper:
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-UTAH CAMPUS (about 11 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 2,021)
- SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 11 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 11,896)
- BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; PROVO, UT; Full-time enrollment: 29,977)
- UNIVERSITY OF UTAH (about 18 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 19,866)
- UTAH VALLEY STATE COLLEGE (about 20 miles; OREM, UT; Full-time enrollment: 14,182)
- WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY (about 48 miles; OGDEN, UT; Full-time enrollment: 12,112)
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY (about 78 miles; LOGAN, UT; Full-time enrollment: 16,384)
Public high school in Draper:
- GENESIS (YIC) (Students: 45; Location: 14178 S PONY EXPRESS RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Draper:
- YOUTH CARE INC PINE RIDGE ACAD (Students: 23; Location: P O BOX 909; Grades: 6 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Draper:
- OAK HOLLOW ELEM SCH (Students: 1,084; Location: 14400 S 884 E; Grades: KG – 06)
- DRAPER ELEM SCH (Students: 971; Location: 1080 E 12660 S; Grades: KG – 06)
- AMERICAN PREP ACAD (Students: 460; Location: 12892 S PONY EXPRESS RD; Grades: KG – 08)