Application Process for Studying in Canada Part 2

4. Take the necessary language / academic tests

Depending on the type of program and course you have chosen, taking language tests or academic tests is part of the application process for your degree in Canada.

a. Language tests

In general, all universities in Canada require international applicants whose native language is not English to provide evidence that their language skills are at an appropriate level. After all, successful completion of courses is only possible if you can also follow the lessons in the foreign language.

Most English-speaking universities and colleges in Canada require a minimum score in a standardized language test such as the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). You should therefore plan the preparation and evaluation time for a language test in your application process for studying in Canada.

b. Academic admission tests

Applicants for a master’s or doctoral degree program often need to achieve a certain result in an academic admission test in order to be admitted to university. Depending on the department, there are different tests for the graduate area:

If you have to take one of these tests for your application, you should make an appointment at a test center early on. It is also necessary to allow sufficient preparation time for the tests.

It is certainly easiest for those who only study for one or two semesters at a Canadian university as part of a visiting student program. Here the universities often accept less time-consuming and costly language certificates, such as the DAAD language certificate, and academic admission tests are also not expected.

5. Certificates, study and examination achievements

Certificates and transcripts of records are essential for an application to study in Canada, a major country in North America listed on act-test-centers, – regardless of the type of study or study program. Be it for a bachelor’s degree, for further studies in the graduate area or for a semester abroad: The universities always require a certified copy of your high school diploma.

For a master’s degree, a doctorate or a semester program, you also need a transcript of records, i.e. proof of all the courses and exams you have taken so far. The original of the transcript is usually submitted to her, as this can be made several times.

You have to have German-language certificates and performance records translated into English by a certified translation agency.

6. Personal Statement / Research Proposal / Letter of Recommendation

Anyone applying for a master’s degree or PhD program at a Canadian university must enclose a so-called personal statement (letter of motivation) and / or a research proposal (synopsis of the research project) with their application. Besides, he usually needs at least two of his graduate studies letter (Letter of Recommendation) of university teachers.

The personal statement serves to convince the university of your personal and professional motivation, both in relation to your choice of course and in relation to your choice of university. A research proposal is required above all if you are applying for a PhD program or for a research-oriented master’s degree. Here you set out in which area you want to research and what your research goals are.

How long the personal statement / research proposal should be in each case can usually be found on the websites of the universities. If no precise information is given there, you should not exceed a maximum of 500 words. The selection committee will appreciate it if you get to the heart of your personal and professional motivation.

Those who apply for a degree in artistic and creative fields often also have to submit a portfolio or application folder. Sometimes something completely new has to be made on a specially specified topic. Here, too, it is important to allow enough time and proceed with care.

7. Possibly course choice for a semester abroad

Part of the application process for a semester abroad in Canada is also the choice of course at some universities. In this case, you have to specify your desired courses with your application and the host university will check whether you meet the requirements and whether you can take the courses. In this case, you should think about which courses you want to / can take and also state a number of alternative courses in advance of your application. At other Canadian universities, on the other hand, it is more common to select courses only after admission. To ensure that your academic achievements are recognized, you should, in any case, make a learning agreement with your home university.

8. Submitting the application and admission decision

Do you have all the necessary application documents? Then you just have to send it to the responsible office. Depending on the circumstances, this can be the Admission Offer, a specific department or graduate school of the university, the Application Service Center of a Canadian province or a placement agency.

And then the first thing to do is wait and see. The waiting time depends on whether you have applied for a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree. When applying for graduate programs, the Canadian university often first checks the bachelor’s or master’s degree completed in Germany for equivalence. In addition, the applications are often only processed after the official application deadline in order to be able to compare them with one another. In this case, of course, it can take longer before you receive a notification.

It is usually pretty quick to apply for a semester program or a summer session. Because here the Canadian universities predominantly use the so-called rolling admission procedure. This means that the application will be processed as soon as it is received. This procedure is also common for MBA programs or doctorates.

9. Admission Offer / Conditional Offer accept

As soon as you have received the admission offer, i.e. the confirmation of a study place, you have to accept it and usually transfer the tuition fees at the same time. This process usually takes place online via a portal on the website of the Canadian university, whereby you can usually find your access data in the admission offer. You will then receive the Letter of Acceptance and you are officially enrolled.

Further procedure after the application process

Have you received the long-awaited commitment? Congratulations! At the same time as the application process, you have ideally already taken care of the financing of your studies in Canada and can now submit the admission offer to the BAföG office and / or your scholarship provider. You will also need this to apply for the Study Permit, if necessary.

It now continues with the preparation for your study abroad. That includes things like

  • Take out a foreign health insurance
  • Search for accommodation
  • Flight booking
  • Apply for a credit card
  • Cultural preparation, such as informing about cultural differences

Application Process for Studying in Canada Part 2